CHINOISERIE is a French word that means “in the Chinese taste”. It describes a European style of decorative ornament that was wildly popular in the 17th and 18th centuries. Modern-day interiors are also embracing a similar mixture of East and West, incorporating idyllic elements particularly favored in the Rococo period with bold colors, whimsical designs, and a splash of exotic with key motifs such as Chinese figures, pagodas and romantic flowers.
This one-day workshop includes a lecture at Insight School, followed by a store visit at Altfield Interiors.
MORNING SESSION: Lecture at Insight School. In this lecture, you will:
- Explore the scenes of the Orient abound on textiles, wallpapers, pottery, porcelain, lacquered and painted furniture.
- See how iconic designers have used Chinoiserie in their design projects
- Discover inspirational ways to boost your home’s style IQ with key Chinoiserie decorative styles
AFTERNOON SESSION: Visit Altfield in Central.
- ALTFIELD Interiors has the largest interior furnishings showroom in Hong Kong's Central district. Besides representing some of the leading brands in fabrics, distincitve leathers, wallcovering, trimmings, hardware and furniture they carry a unique range of materials and furniture in the Chinoiserie style. Altfield has established itself as a leader in products where asian traditional patterns and craftmenship meets whest and carries a wide range of decorative objects ranging from traditional chinese to contemporary reinterpretations. In addition, they design and manufacture their own range of custom lighting, furniture, decorative screens, mirrors and framed art.
- Meet the Altfield founder Amanda Clark and her team and explore some of their works related to Chinoiserie
- Explore a selection of objects and curated theatrical interiors with materials and techniques culled from across cultures and across time, woven into unique creations and brought into the scene in everyday living.